Author Topic: FAQ: AML Wallet Passphrase  (Read 1613 times)

AML Support

• View Profile
FAQ: AML Wallet Passphrase
« on: April 02, 2018, 03:21:57 pm »
What do I need a passphrase for?

The passphrase is another security feature which will be required and requested whenever you are making a transaction to another user.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:05:24 pm by AML Support »

AML Support

• View Profile
Re: FAQ: AML Wallet Passphrase
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:42:47 pm »
How do I setup a passphrase for my AML Wallet?

1. Open your wallet.

2. Click on Settings.

3. Click on 'Change Passphrase'.

stecons1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:46:02 am »
What can I do if I've forgotten the passphrase?

melaniec

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 03:15:58 pm »
What can I do if I've forgotten the passphrase?
First you need to back up your wallet to ensure your tokens don't get lost.

Here is a link on how to do this: https://amltoken.com/backup-restore-wallet

Once you do this, delete your wallet and download a new one. This should have you create a new passphrase for your new wallet.

stecons1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 02:45:10 am »
I have tried everything suggested to me by your technical department and still I have no way of resetting a forgotten passphrase. Downloading a new wallet does not work as it is the .dat file which is encrypted by the passphrase and so as soon as I restore my tokens from the backup it overwrites the new passphrase I have set up with the old one associated with the backup. This I would suggest is correct as otherwise anyone who gained access to the backup of a wallet would effectively be able to take them and just start a new wallet which is obviously not secure at all.

What I don't understand is why the tokens can't just be re-issued to a new wallet, I appreciate if it was actual AML Bitcoins then it would be a different story but at the moment it is simply tokens issued by NAC.

Thanks

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 03:31:27 am »
Any updates on the forgotten passphrase issue...?

Stealth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 03:51:11 pm »
Guys if you have forgotten your passphrase there is no way to access your coins as you have encrypted the wallet.data file, I am afraid you have been given incorrect information and poster was correct in his assessment, What you could do is try a password cracker like “jack the ripper” to find your passphrase , I have included a link to a guide for you but unless you have an idea of what password is and perhaps your only a letter or two out or capital in wrong place you will most likely be out of lucky, today’s hardware just isn’t fast enough to brute force a complete wallet.data file but if you can start with a combination of different passphrases close to correct one you should manage to find the correct one given time and depending on your CPU, GPUS are no good for this type of encryption unfortunately, good luck and hope this helps. https://www.gobitgo.com/articles/1005/How-To-Recover-Your-Bitcoin-Wallet-Password/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:55:24 pm by Stealth »

stecons1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 03:26:37 am »
We are not talking about actual coins yet though, this is simply the tokens issued by NAC during the token sale. Surely they can be re-issued if the owner can provide all evidence needed to prove they own the tokens?

Just to clarify I am still in talks with your technical department and they are sure that they can find a way to get around this, I'm starting to doubt their technical competence though considering some of the suggested solutions they have come up with so far!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk